Current Education Students

Message to Current Students

Explore this website. There is a tremendous amount of information about all of the education majors offered at The W, related opportunities for education-based experiences offered through student programs and the departments of the Child and Parent Development Center (CPDC) and Center for Educational Support (CES), as well as community-based support provided by the School of Education throughout our surrounding communities. Students looking for practical education-based work experience should explore opportunities within the School, particularly as student worker staff at the CPDC and with Jumpstart. Check out our Student Organizations for ways to network and connect with your colleagues.

Follow the School of Education's social media on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram for essential student updates throughout the year.

Stay Connected

Maintain open communication with your Student Success Navigator. Your Navigator is your initial professional mentor, guide for student support, and advisor for success in your major. All undergraduate students who are interested in early childhood and elementary education will work closely with the School of Education’s Navigator.
Returning Undergraduate Students
If you are a returning student, you need to maintain open communication with your academic advisor. Your advisor may still be a Navigator or you may have been transitioned to a faculty advisor. School of Education students who need to verify their academic advisor should contact Brittany Hunnicutt in the Education Department office.
Undergraduate education students who are not pursuing an Early Childhood Development B. S. degree (ECD) or Elementary Education B. S. degree (EE) are Secondary/K-12 students. This set of teacher education programs is offered through partnership between the School of Education and the College of Arts & Sciences, and students in these programs are College of Arts & Sciences majors. Please contact your program’s department in the College of Arts & Sciences for advising. A list of all Secondary/K-12 programs are found on the Secondary Education page, please select the program of interest to view that department’s teacher education website.
Graduate Students

Meet with your major's Program Coordinator. Your Program Coordinator will serve as your academic advisor and will keep you informed about what you should do to maintain successful progress in your graduate studies.

The School of Education offers some of its undergraduate courses in “Hyflex” format. As outlined on the Registrar’s Delivery Methods page, a Hyflex (hybrid flexible) course enables students the flexibility to attend in some combination of face to face, synchronous online, and asynchronous online. Course interaction requirements, including the amount of synchronized or real-time live class interaction expected, depends upon the course design established by the class instructor and approved by the Chair of the Education Department and Dean of the School of Education. Students are encouraged to review the course schedule’s “Delivery Method” to determine which classes are in Hyflex format and may contact the instructor of record listed on the course schedule with any questions about participation and class interaction requirements.
Meet with the faculty and staff who support you and your success in your major. Select a faculty or staff member’s individual photo in the School of Education’s Faculty & Staff Directory for additional details such as office number, office hours, and teaching schedule.

Academic Support Resources

Students at The W have a free access to online tutoring services in hundreds of subjects.
Peer Mentors provide guidance to fellow students in subjects where some students need additional help. Peer Mentors hold office hours throughout the week in the library and on Zoom.
The W Writing Center tutors and interns are dedicated to helping improve the writing skills of all those in The W writing community. When struggling to write a paper, please feel free to turn to our tutors and interns for help.
The SSC is a place where all students can come to receive advice, feedback, and strategies in various academic areas. Our mission is to provide students with the necessary tools for academic success at the W and beyond.
Technical problems happen. We've compile the most common issues students face and how to quickly resolve them. We have 24/7 student support and a dedicated IT team to help you resolve even the most difficult problems
The Student Success Navigators help guide you through your education and keep you on track to earn your degree. The Navigator for the School of Education is Jackson Ellard.
The Center for Educational Support provides resources and training to educators at every step of their career. Learn the latest pedagogy, earn CEUs, OSLs, and SEMIs, find a mentor to help guide you through your early career, or become one yourself.
What Can I Do With This Major? provides suggestions for career paths, a list of professional associations to help you advance, and resources for finding a rewarding job.

Additional Resources

Find important dates for the school year all in one place.
The W is a place for everyone and welcomes students with disabilities. Work with the Student Success Center to find the accommodations you need for your education.
The University life is supposed to be filled with challenging academics to help you grow, but we know those challenges become overwhelming for students struggling to cover their basic needs. We've compiled a list of services to help you get access to the resources you need, from food security to community connection, so you can focus on your studies.
Order your textbooks from the campus Barnes & Noble Bookstore.
If the goal of your degree is to find a career in your chosen field, then The W's Career Services can help. Learn more about turning your major into a career, improving your resume, and tips for the job search process.
Classes are easier when you have someone to help you take the weight off your shoulders. All enrolled W students are eligible to use the services provided by Counseling Services.
Search digital databases and view online resources to help you with your academic research.
Scholarships are just one part of the financial aid available to students. Learn more about resources available to cover the costs of enrollment.
The Ina E. Gordy Honors College offers both a four-year curriculum and a residential program that allows students to live, as well as learn, together. Honors provides intensive faculty-student interaction that challenges students and offers exceptional opportunities such as honor societies for specific academic programs.
Have a question about transferring credits, withdrawing from a class, or what you need to graduate? This is the place for you.
The Office of Undergraduate Research (OUR) provides opportunities for students to participate in projects, conferences, publications, and internships that focus on conducting research and creative exploration.