Group therapy is a form of therapy, guided by one of the W Counselors. Groups typically meet one to two times a week to discuss, receive support and encouragement for a common problem such as depression, anxiety, addiction, anger management, adjustment to college, relationships issues, homesickness, grief, etc.
Most students that attend group therapy may also attend individual therapy as well. Group therapy is an open conversation and confidentiality cannot be guaranteed in the same manor that it is for individual therapy. Group therapy helps students recognize that they are not alone, ultimately helping one another grow personally and cope effectively.
Types of Groups
Depending on the type of group, the group may be open or closed. Open groups mean that new students can join the group at any time throughout the process or running time of group. However, if the group is closed no one can join after the initial start date. The student will have to wait until that group is offered again.
- Psychoeducation (Open)-focus is to educate students about a specific issue and ways of coping with it.
- Support Groups(Open)– students with a common experience that meet to provide each other encouragement, comfort and advice.
- Therapeutic process groups (Closed)- students meet face to face to share their struggles and concerns with group members and the counselor. The goal is to receive multiple perspectives, support, encouragement, and feedback
Groups that are running Fall of 2019:
- First Generation Students– support group for students that are the first within their family to attend college. Students can expect a variety of conversations such as financial, being away from home, navigating college, etc.
- Dealing with the Sadness– this group is open to students that are dealing with depression or re-occurring sadness. Students can expect to discuss their emotions surrounding depression and sadness, medication management, family, stigma, etc.
If you are interested in Group Therapy, please call the counseling center at 662-329-7748.