Freshman Residency

Freshman Residency Policy

Mississippi University for Women requires that all unmarried, full-time (enrolled for twelve or more credit hours) freshman students reside on campus in university residence halls. This requirement excludes summer sessions and is applicable until the attainment of sophomore standing (thirty semester credit hours), or the receipt of an exemption from the Department of Housing and Residence Life.

Students who are admitted to Mississippi University for Women as a transfer student from another post-secondary institution, and who have completed at least 24 credit hours at that institution are not required to live on campus. Please note that the 24 credit hours cannot include AP credit or dual enrollment credits earned while in high school.

Students who fail or refuse to comply with the Freshman Residency Program and/or who furnish false information to a University official or office in connection with a request for exemption will be referred to the Dean of Students office for further action.

A student who lives in The W’s residence halls is more likely to:

  • Take full advantage of campus resources.
  • Be more involved in campus activities and educational programs.
  • Complete more credit hours per semester.
  • Achieve greater academic success.
  • Complete their studies and attain their degree.
  • Be more satisfied with the overall university experience.
View of Front Campus Halls
Front view of Callaway Hall
Grossnickle Hall

Freshman Residency Program Exemption

  1. Request for exemption from the Freshman Residency Program will be considered and may be granted based on a student’s ability to show that:
    • The student is 20 years of age prior to the first day of classes of the student’s first semester. A copy of the certificate of birth or passport must be submitted.
    • The student is married. A copy of the certificate of marriage must be submitted.
    • The student has custody of dependent children. A copy of the certificate of birth and copy of your federal tax return, verifying child is your dependent must be submitted.
    • The student is a veteran who has completed 2 years of active military service. A copy of certificate of release/discharge from active duty must be submitted.
    • The student lives with parent(s)/guardian(s) whose current permanent primary place of residence is not more than 50 miles driving distance from Mississippi University for Women. A completed parent/guardian verification statement must be submitted.
    • The student is a transfer student and MUW has accepted at least 24 semester credit hours. A copy of unofficial transcript must be submitted.
    • The student is enrolled part-time (less than 12 hours per semester). A copy of class schedule must be submitted.
    • The student has a compelling circumstance. A letter concisely and fully describing the circumstance and any supporting documentation must be submitted.
      (Examples, not limited to: Active Military, On-line, Medical Condition, etc.)
  2. A written request for exemption (Freshman Residency Program - Exemption Form) must be submitted and received in the Department of Housing and Residence Life on or before the following dates based upon the student’s intended first term of enrollment at Mississippi University for Women. Please note that completed the exemption form is NOT automatic. In all cases, it will take a minimum of one week for a determination to be made.

    Fall Semester first enrollment August 1
    Fall Semester secondary date if admitted after August 1, deadline date will be the “Last Day to Add AND/OR DROP” as stated in the Academic Calendar
    Spring Semester first enrollment December 1
    Spring Semester secondary date if admitted after December 1, deadline date will be the “Last Day to Add AND/OR DROP” as stated in the Academic Calendar
  3. All correspondence regarding exemption requests should be addressed to:

    Department of Housing and Residence Life
    1100 College Street
    MUW – 1626
    Columbus, MS  39701

    Phone: (662) 329-7127
    Fax: (662) 241-7497
  4. The Director of Housing and Residence Life will review written requests for exemption which are received by the applicable deadline. The Director will send a written decision on the exemption request to the student’s mailing address listed on the exemption request form.

    The student is not considered released from the program until they have received written notification. A student with freshmen classification cannot cancel their Housing Application without submitting a copy of their written notification that releases them from the residency program. If a student submits a cancellation and has not been released from the residency program, the cancellation will be considered voided and the Housing Application will be considered in effect until student is released from the program and supplies a copy of the written notification from the committee.
  5. Students may appeal, in writing, the denial of a request for exemption to the Exemption Appeals Committee:

    • Written appeals must be submitted to the Department of Housing and Residence Life no later than 10 business days after notice has been sent that a request for exemption has been denied.
    • The appeal must state concisely the reasons the denial of the exemption request should be reversed and should include any new evidence which the student contends supports the appeal.
    • The Exemption Appeals Committee will have one representative from the following departments: Housing and Residence Life, Counseling Center and Student Success Center.
    • The committee may consult with other units on campus, including, but not limited to, the Student Health Center, Student Success Center, Dean of Students Office, Counseling Center, and the Office of Financial Aid.
    • The committee will communicate its decision in writing to the student.
    • The appeals decision will be final.