Transfer FAQs

Frequently Asked Questions

What is The W's admissions process?

Applying is simple! Follow these steps:

1. Apply online at There is no application fee.
2. Submit official transcripts from every college or university attended.
3. Give us a few days and we will have a decision made for you!

Questions about the admissions process? Visit

How many credit hours can I transfer to The W?

Transferable community college coursework is accepted at the freshman and sophomore level but may not be used to satisfy junior and senior level requirements. Community college transfer students must earn at least 25% of their hours from MUW in order to be eligible for any baccalaureate degree. Credit for technical courses can be transferred only for the Bachelor of Applied Science degree for students who have earned an Associate of Applied Science degree. Such technical courses cannot be used toward any other degree offered at Mississippi University for Women. Transfer students who wish to receive a degree from Mississippi University for Women must complete at least 50% of the credit hours required in both their major and their minor in residence at MUW. Find more on Transfering Credits:

Are men allowed to attend The W?

Yes! We have admitted to The W men since 1982. Currently, our female to male ratio is 7 to 1, with men making up 18% of our total student population.

What is The W's award process?

At The W, we believe in helping our students with the cost of a college education. Within 3 to 5 business days, awards are automatically posted to your account once you've been admitted.

Transfer awards are based on your collegiate GPA and the number of hours taken.

Curious what you would qualify for?

Complete our award calculator at

More Questions about scholarships? Visit

Why should I attend The W?

The W offers a private college education at public college cost. The W consistently ranks as one of the top universities in our region by the US News & World Report. In addition to great academic resources, The W offers many leadership opportunities and superior student involvement.

How do I visit campus?

You can schedule a group tour or private tour by visiting our website. We do campus tours Monday through Friday. To schedule your campus tour, visit

Do I have to live on campus?

As a transfer student, you are not required to live on campus. You should know: Ample research across the United States over the last 30 years provides compelling evidence that students who live in university-provided housing perform better academically, and enjoy a higher degree of satisfaction with their college experience, than students who live off-campus or commute.


What restaurants and dining facilities are on campus?

There are four dining options available on campus.

  • The Hogarth Dining Center offers unlimited opportunities for dining and is open for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
  • Parkinson Simply to Go is a quick food option if you are on the move and want to grab a sandwich or wrap in between classes. Dining dollars can be used here.
  • Subway Cafe is a full service Subway restaurant with a coffee option. Dining dollars can be used here.
  • Common Grounds is a coffeehouse serving Starbucks coffee and quick meal options. Dining dollars can be used here.

Not living on campus? As a commuter student you will have $125 in dining dollars added to your student account each semester to cover meals in any of these locations.

How can I get involved on campus?

Getting involved is easy! We have 60+ student organizations, 70,000 square feet of recreation space throughout campus, countless academic opportunities to get engaged in your major area, and more! Check out the Getting Involved page to find your community.