Students are encouraged to “Find Their Path” as part of Mississippi University for Women’s Blues Week 22.
Sponsored by the Office of Student Life, Blues Week is The W’s annual list of programming designed to kick off the start of the school year with engaging events to help students connect to The W. More than 70 students and student leaders will participate in this year’s slate of events that will feature new campus programs as well as familiar favorites that will allow students to get together with peers, faculty and staff members.
“I’m eager to see our student leaders welcome new and returning students with pride,” said Coordinator of Engagement Amanda Williams. “Blues Week 2022 will be a blast!”
Blues Week will kick off at 9 a.m. Thursday, Aug. 11, with Move-In Day. It will continue at 7 p.m. with Floor Meetings in Nissan Auditorium, which will be sponsored by the Office of Housing and Residential Life. Events Thursday will conclude at 8 p.m. with Karaoke, also at Nissan Auditorium.
Each of the next eight days will feature myriad events designed to highlight the diverse array of activities available to students.
“It has been an amazing opportunity to be able to help organize Blues Week and its events,” SGA President Mackenzie Pearce said. “I am looking forward to watching all of our hard work come together to make our students feel welcome and at home.”
For a complete listing of events, go to https://www.muw.edu/bluesweek.
Here are some of the highlights of Blues Week 22:
- From 7-9 p.m. Friday, Aug. 12, Campus Recreation will offer free demonstration classes for its Functional Fitness classes in The Cage as part of “Late Night at The Rec” in the Stark Recreation Center.
- At 6:30 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 13, the Counseling Center will sponsor “Best of the Blues” at the Gazebo.
- At Noon Sunday, Aug. 14, the MUW Alumni Association, Campus Rec, the Office of Development and Alumni and the Office of Student Life will sponsor “Sunday Funday” at Pohl Gymnasium.
- At 11:30 a.m. Monday, Aug. 15 (first day of classes), the Student Government Association (SGA) will hold a mixer on the Hogarth Sidewalk outside The W Room.
- At 4:30 p.m. Tuesday, Aug. 16, the Office of Student Life will sponsor an Organizational Fair at Pohl Gymnasium.
“I am so excited for the Organization Fair this year,” Pearce said. “I think one of the best things students can do to get acclimated to campus is to get involved. The Organization Fair makes it easy and accessible to meet and mingle with all the active organizations on campus and find which ones are right for them.”
At 4:30 p.m. Wednesday, Aug. 17, the Wesley Foundation will sponsor Barn Yard Bash at the Wesley Foundation Building – 11th Street.
At 1 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 18, the Student Success Center will sponsor “Get the Scoop on Student Success” at Reneau Hall.
Blues Week will wrap up at 2:30 p.m. Friday, Aug. 19, with the “Sisterhood Social” at Cochran Hall, which will be sponsored by the Office of Student Life.