Respondus Lockdown Browser
What is Respondus LockDown Browser?
Respondus LockDown Browser™ is a custom browser that locks down the testing environment within Canvas. When students use Respondus LockDown Browser they are unable to print, copy, go to another URL, or access other applications. When an assessment is started, students are locked into it until they submit it for grading. Available for both Windows and Mac. Respondus LockDown Browser should only be used for taking online tests.
Technical Requirements for Browser Installation
Respondus LockDown Browser is a client application installed on the local computer.
Windows: 10, 8, 7. Windows 10S is not a compatible operating system.
Mac: macOS 10.12 to 10.15
iOS: 11.0+ (iPad only). Must have a compatible LMS integration
* Windows 10S is not a compatible operating system, nor can LockDown Browser be obtained via the Windows App Store. At present, support for Windows 10 S Mode isn’t on the roadmap for LockDown Browser.
* iOS: 11.0+ (iPad only). Must have a compatible LMS integration. The LockDown Browser iPad app is not compatible with Sakai LMS servers. All Sakai users will need to use a computer with a compatible operating system.
* LockDown Browser and Respondus Monitor may continue to run in older operating systems that have reached “end-of-life” but students may encounter unexpected results.
Windows: 2 GB RAM
Mac: 2 GB RAM
Hard Disk Space
Windows: 200 MB of free hard disk space
Mac: 200 MB of free hard disk space
Need Respondus Support?
Introduction to Respondus Lockdown Browser/Monitor for Students (video)
Introduction to LockDown Browser for Canvas (video)
Student Quick Start Guide New Quizzes
Installing LockDown Browser for Students (Windows version)
Installing LockDown Browser for Students (Mac version)
Lockdown Browser for Chromebook BETA
Installing LockDown Browser to a Chromebook is easy.
– Log into the Chromebook and start Google Chrome
– Log into Canvas and navigate to the exam that requires LockDown Browser
– Select the link for downloading and installing LockDown Browser
– From the Chrome web store, select “Add to Chrome” to install the LockDown Browser Extension
– Note: during the beta, this extension will only work with quizzes an instructor has enabled for
use with LockDown Browser for Chromebook
If you have technical questions, or would like to report bugs/issues, please open a support ticket at http://support.respondus.com. Be sure to indicate you are using LockDown Browser for Chromebook.