Master of Arts in Teaching
Become a Teacher!
MAT is an alternative initial licensure program that provides completers of this graduate degree an opportunity to teach in Mississippi secondary schools (grades 7-12).
- Build on your Bachelor’s Degree.
- Participate from anywhere in the 100% online program.
- Eligible to teach in Mississippi after successful completion of 6 hours.
- Paid internship with coaching and support.
- Earn a master’s degree within two years.
All students must have active Taskstream accounts while enrolled either in the Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) or Master of Education (M.Ed.) programs. Students needing new Taskstream accounts will be assessed a program fee, currently $139.00, during their initial term of enrollment.
MAT Certification Areas
Begin MAT Program as an Undergraduate
Undergraduates at The W who are in a MAT certification subject can take the first two courses of the MAT program in the last year of their undergraduate program.
- ED 549: Instructional Assessment Practices & Procedures
- ED 551: Managing the Instructional Environments
Students completing these courses at the undergraduate level are eligible for a Mississippi Educator 3-year Nonrenewable Alternate Route License. These courses will count towards an MAT.
*Updated September 2021 - SoE