Respondus LockDown Browser
Respondus LockDown Browser® is a custom browser that locks down the testing environment within Canvas. When students use Respondus LockDown Browser they are unable to print, copy, go to another URL, or access other applications. When an assessment is started, students are locked into it until they submit it for grading. Available for Windows, Mac and iOS.
Respondus LockDown Broswer Instructor Video Tutorials
|Overview||Preparing an Exam|
Steps For Using Respondus LockDown Browser
The following steps and resources will help you begin using LockDown Browser. We highly recommend that you offer students a practice or low-stakes quiz to familiarize themselves with using LockDown Browser before requiring it for any important exams.
1. Provide Student's Installion Link for LockDown Browser
Provide your students the installation link for LockDown Browser
2. Provide Student's System Requirements for using Lockdown Browser
Students can check that their computer meets the minimum system requirements before using Respondus LockDown Browser.
3. Turn on the LockDown Browser setting for your chosen exam(s)
Use the following guide to enable LockDown Browser only.
4. Provide An Overview for LockDown Browser for Your Students
|Respondus LockDown Browser|
Suggested Syllabus Language
If you will be requiring the use of LockDown Browser for one or more exams in your course, you may want to include an explanation of how the system works in your syllabus or online course orientation materials. Here is some sample language that you can use and/or modify.
Using LockDown Browser for Online Exams
This course requires the use of LockDown Browser for online exams. Watch this short video to get a basic understanding of LockDown Browser (we will not be using the optional webcam feature).
Then download and install LockDown Browser from this link: https://download.respondus.com/lockdown/download.php?id=641414516 Please note that LockDown Browser is already installed in all campus computer labs and ready for your use.
To take an online test, start LockDown Browser and navigate to the exam. (You won't be able to access the exam with a standard web browser.) For additional details on using LockDown Browser, review this Student Quick Start Guide (PDF).
Finally, when taking an online exam, follow these guidelines:
- Select a location where you won't be interrupted
- Before starting the test, know how much time is available for it, and that you've allotted sufficient time to complete it
- Turn off all mobile devices, phones, etc. and don't have them within reach
- Clear your area of all external materials — books, papers, other computers, or devices
- Remain at your desk or workstation for the duration of the test
- LockDown Browser will prevent you from accessing other websites or applications; you will be unable to exit the test until all questions are completed and submitted