Wnet WiFi Access Instructions
What is Wireless Access?
The University uses the IEEE 802.11g/n wireless network standard to allow members of the University community to connect to the WiFi Network and computing resources in all buildings on campus. With wireless access, you can connect your wireless network-equipped laptop or other devices to the network without cumbersome cables or wires.
Where is Wireless Access Available on Campus?
As of Spring 2011 semester, Wireless Access is available in every building on campus including residence halls. Every classroom, study area, and residence hall rooms should have wireless access availability.
How Do I Connect to the Wnet WiFi Network?
STEP 1: Equip your laptop for wireless networking and WiFi Network authentication:
- Your laptop or other device will need an 802.11g/n-compatible wireless Ethernet adapter (also called Wi-Fi compliant) and use WPA2 Enterprise authentication (802.1x). Most laptops, tablets, and smartphones are able to connect using this authentication method!
- Your Network Connection settings on your device must be set to obtain the IP address and DNS settings automatically (using DHCP services).This is usually the default setting on most mobile devices.
- The SSID for wireless access is "Wnet"
STEP 2: Connect to the WiFi Network:
- Move your computer into a wireless coverage area.
- Turn your computer on.
STEP 3: Log in to the Wnet WiFi Network:
- Go to your network settings on your mobile device and select the Wnet WiFi network. Most smartphones and non-Windows based tablets/laptops (ex: iPhones, iPads, Mac computers & Androids) should be able to seamlessly connect to the Wnet WiFi network. Upon connecting, if prompted with a certificate warning, simply agree to "trust" the Wnet network and connect.
- [Windows Devices] Windows tablet/laptop client devices will require some one-time setup procedures before a connection can be established. This is a very common security framework that is built into Windows and will require specific configurations to establish a WiFi connection on most Windows client devices. Instructions for Windows versions 7, 8, & 10 can be found by visiting the respective link below that matches your Windows device OS version: (Windows XP is an unsecure OS and not supported nor recommended)
- Enter your NetID and password.
- Click Login.