Undergraduate Research Resources
- More information on 2- and 4- year research roadmaps coming to this section!
- To learn more about the benefits of undergraduate research or how to connect to a faculty mentor, see the OUR YouTube playlist for recordings of past events
- For upcoming OUR student workshops, visit https://www.muw.edu/our/about/getinvolved
Undergraduate Research Conference Resources:
- For resources on submitting a conference proposal, preparing for a presentation, or evaluation guidelines, visit the Conference Resources page at https://www.muw.edu/our/conference/participate
Supporting undergraduate research
- Benefits of Undergraduate Research:
- Lopatto, David. (2010). Undergraduate Research as a High-Impact Student Experience, Peer Review, 12(2).
- Benefits of Teaching Undergraduate Research in Existing Courses
- Hensel, Nancy H. (2018). Course-Based Undergraduate Research: Educational Equity and High-Impact Practice.
- Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion in Undergraduate Research
- Schwartz, et al. (2016). "I didn't know you could just ask": Empowering underrepresented college-bound students to recruit academic and career mentors. Children and Youth Services Review, 64, pp. 51-59.
- Boyd, Mary K. and Jodi L. Wesemann, Eds. (2009). Broadening Participation in Undergraduate Research: Fostering Excellence and Enhancing the Impact. Council on Undergraduate Research. (Available on request through the OUR)
- Longmire-Avital, Buffie (April 2020). "Critical mentoring is custom fitted to the student." Center for Engaged Learning at Elon University.
- Da Graca, Margarida and Lori Dougherty, (2016). First Generation College Students: Navigating Higher Education
- Faculty interested in mentoring a federal work study-eligible student researcher can fill out this form: https://muwedu.wufoo.com/forms/qf672hx022bnz8/. Read more about the program and its details here.
- APIL Teaching Innovation grants - https://www.muw.edu/ctl/grants/apil
- Faculty Senate, Fund B - Funds allocated to "strengthen classroom teaching." More at https://www.muw.edu/facultysenate/forms/fundb
Resources for OUR Summer Scholars Mentors:
- For Faculty interested in mentoring an OUR Summer Scholar, see this mentor handout
- "Quick Guide for Faculty Mentors and Summer Research Scholars" from Louis Stokes Alliance for Minority Participation.
- McKinsey, Elizabeth. (2016). Faculty Mentoring Undergraduates: The nature, development, and benefits of mentoring relationships. Teaching & Learning Inquiry, 4(1), pp. 25-39.
- Raman, D. R., Geisinger, B., Kemis, M., & de la Mora, A. (2016). Key actions of successful summer research mentors. Higher Education, 72(3), 363–379.