Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (also known as FAFSA)                      

  • Visit  to start the process.  The FAFSA is available every January 1st for the upcoming academic year. 
  • The W’s  Federal School Code is 002422.
  • The student and parent must each set up an FSA ID.  The FSA ID, which consists of a user-created username and password, replaced the PIN effective May, 2015.  It allows users to electronically access personal information on Federal Student Aid Web sites as well as electronically sign a FAFSA. The FSA ID can be set up at

Complete any outstanding financial aid requirements                     

  • Once the FAFSA is received, you will receive a tracking letter email notification if additional information is needed.  All incomplete requirements can be viewed via BANNER.  

Receive award letter email notification                 

  • Once the FAFSA is received and all awarding requirements are met, you will receive an award letter email notification.  Your official award letter can be viewed via BANNER.

Accept loans online via Banner

  • All students must accept loans online via BANNER if they wish to receive a loan for the academic year. Students may accept full or partial loan amounts on-line. This is a one-time acceptance process that must be completed each academic year. Any further changes in loan amounts will require students to contact the office.

Complete the Federal PLUS and Graduate PLUS process

  • This step can be completed at
  • All Federal Direct PLUS Loan borrowers must complete a loan request form if they wish to receive a PLUS loan. The PLUS loan request form tells our office how much loan money you wish to borrow. PLUS loan borrowers must submit a new loan request form each year.

Complete Loan Entrance Counseling

  • This step is required for first-time borrowers
  • Counseling can be completed at
  • All new or transfer students must complete loan entrance counseling.

Complete and submit the Master Promissory Note (MPN) to Direct Lending

  • This step is required for First-time borrowers and Transfer Students
  • The MPN can be submitted at
  • U.S. Department of Education Direct Loans must receive the MPN in order for the funds to disburse to MUW.
  • PLUS Loan funds will not defer your bill until MUW receives notification that the Master Promissory Note has been signed and the loan has been credit approved.
  • If you have a Federal Perkins Loan, please contact University Accounting to complete the Perkins Master Promissory Note.