Poetry South is an international journal that considers all kinds of poetry. Though we pay particular attention to writers from the South — born, raised, or living here — all poetry within our covers has a claim to the South because it is published here. The magazine has a tradition of including poets from other regions in the US and other countries. We are looking for a great mix of styles and voices that will appeal to our audience and breathe new life into the poetry of the South.
- Send 1-4 unpublished poems in Word format
- Include a brief bio of 80 words or less, written in third person. Bios will be edited to fit in our contributor’s notes.
- Include your mailing address with your submission, so we can send a contributor’s copy
- We consider long poems. Poems of more than two pages should be considered as 2 poems in your submission.
- We do accept simultaneous submissions. Please withdraw your poem immediately if it is accepted elsewhere. If one or two poems out of a file of 4 poems needs to be withdrawn, leave a message in Submittable.
- Please submit only once per year. If you must withdraw your submission, you may resubmit new poems; if your submission is declined or if we have not responded to your submission yet, please do not submit again for the current issue.
Our annual submission deadline is July 15. Submissions made after that date will be considered for the following year’s issue, though response times may be longer. Our reading period for each new issue typically begins in January or after the current year’s issue hits the press. We will begin with poems submitted after July 15.
Queries should be emailed to email@example.com. Or queries and subscriptions may also be sent by mail, addressed to: Poetry South, MFA Creative Writing, 1100 College St., W-1634, Columbus MS 39701.