Recipe for a Great Career
In addition to a mastery of cooking skills and knowledge of food service, students also will prepare for employment and leadership in diverse areas of food studies such as food journalism, food photography and styling, nutrition and wellness, and culinary entrepreneurship.
Our graduates are working in the hospitality industry in Mississippi and across the nation. We invite you to create your own recipe for success in the Culinary Arts Institute at The W.
As a culinary arts major, you will take classes such as:
- Dining Room Services
- World Cuisines
- Food Styling
- Science of Food
- Culinary Entrepreneurship
As a culinary arts major you will take an emphasis in one of the following areas:
- Culinary Management - Designed for a student interested in managing a kitchen or owning their own restaurant. Courses included marketing, accounting, and law courses which relate specifically to business side of the culinary world.
- Food Art - Students who wish to express their creativity through food would enjoy this option. Student chefs will take courses in art, photography, food styling, and demonstration techniques.
- Food Journalism - From cookbooks to food bloggers to culinary television, there is a wealth of food related media available today. Students in this option take courses in writing, media, and photography.
- Nutrition & Wellness - What we eat is a critical part of a healthy lifestyle. Students in the emphasis will take a combination of health and culinary courses on weight management, chronic diseases, public health, and epidemics.
Making A Difference
Culinary major Kimberly Heath developed a cooking demonstration program to help improve the nutritional value of college student breakfast choices.
- Small Classes - most are under 20 students
- Transfer-Friendly University - apply your community college courses toward a bachelor's degree
- Personalized Advising - Faculty work with you one-on-one to schedule classes that meet your career goals