Graduate International Students

Graduate Studies at The W

International Students at The W join a diverse, multicultural community of students from over a dozen nations. And being consistently ranked as one of the Top 20 public universities in the South, it's no wonder nearly 3,000 men and women call our university home. Students may choose from 11 accredited graduate programs in our four colleges and schools.

Graduate Programs International Admissions Requirements

Contact the University

If you're interested in applying to The W, or if you have further questions about international admissions, please email us at

International Graduate Admissions

Dr. Martin Hatton
Director of Graduate Studies
Mississippi University for Women
1100 College Street, MUW-1603
Columbus, Mississippi, 39701-5800, U.S.A.

International Application Deadlines

Semester of Entry

Application Deadline

Fall Semester

May 1

Spring Semester

October 1

June Summer Session

March 1

July Summer Session

April 1

Some graduate programs have application deadlines for all students. You should base your international application deadlines off of these dates. Example: Graduate Nursing has an application deadline of March 1, therefore international graduate applications should be completed no later than October 1.

International Graduate Admissions

While the application process for international students can be difficult, we are here to make things as easy as possible. Here is an easy to follow checklist of things that should be submitted before an admissions decision can be made. This information can be submitted all at one time or in increments.

Depending on visa type, certain restrictions may apply.

Graduate Admissions

International Graduate Student Requirements

These requirements are for international students coming to the United States to study on the Mississippi University for Women's campus. Students taking MUW online graduate programs in their home country are not required to submit steps 8-12.

  • Step 1: A completed graduate admission application

  • Step 2: A baccalaureate degree from an accredited four-year institution

  • Step 3: A minimum 3.0 quality point average in the proposed area of study

  • Step 4: English Exam Scores: TOEFL 550 (paper-based), 213 (computer-based), or 79 (internet-based); IELTS 6.0; or PTE 53

  • Step 5: In those programs which require these standardized tests, submission of either GRE or GMAT test scores. Students in the M. Ed. Program may substitute scores on the National Teachers Examination (NTE).

  • Step 6: Three recommendations of the student's qualifications for graduate work

  • Step 7: Official certified transcripts, diplomas, and certificates translated in English

  • Step 8: Letter of financial backing with supporting documentation

  • Step 9: Scheduled meeting with Dean of Students to discuss medical requirements (listed below) and associated costs

  • Step 10: Agreement to purchase or show health insurance coverage. International students must purchase a health insurance plan and provide documentation of insurance coverage prior to registration. The insurance plan must cover the student for the length of each semester. International students must maintain continuous coverage throughout their enrollment at the University.

  • Step 11: Proof of immunization of measles, mumps, and rubella is required (two doses of MMR vaccine), must be translated in English and submitted to the Campus Health Center.

  • Step 12: Proof of test screening for tuberculosis by chest x-ray and interferon gamma release assays (IGRA) performed in the United States prior to the start of classes is required of all international students. Proof should be submitted to the Campus Health Center.

Note: The Test of Written English may also be required. Individual graduate programs may set higher English-language proficiency scores and/or require additional documentation of English-language proficiency.

 Language requirements for graduate programs in Speech-Language Pathology and Nursing

Item number 1 below will apply to both programs. Item number 2 below is only for Speech-Language Pathology.

  1. For admission to the Speech-Language Pathology and Nursing Graduate Programs, an International student must submit An official TOEFL(Test of English as a Foreign Language) score of 600 PBT (Paper-Based Test), 250 CBT (Computer-Based Test), or 100 iBT (Internet-Based Test), an IELTS (International English Language Testing Systems) core of 7.0, or a PTE (Pearson Test of English) score of 68.
  2. For admission to the Speech-Language Pathology Graduate Program, an international student must also submit a recorded speech sample, 3-5 minutes in length. Topic should address the student's personal history/information and career goals.
Aerial photo of Callaway clock tower

Visa Information

International students who wish to study in the United States are required to obtain an F-1 Student Visa and a Form I-20 from their host school. In order to obtain a Form I-20, you must first be accepted into the program, then demonstrate sufficient financial backing to pay for your visit. You need to apply for your non-immigrant F-1 student visa at least 120 days before you are required to be on campus.

Study in the States - Department of Homeland Security

Student and Exchange Visitor Program - US Immigration and Customs Enforcement

Student Visa Information - US Department of State

Students and the Form I-20 - Study in the States

A Note Regarding Online Programs: Students studying in the United States on an F-1 student visa are required to be registered as full-time students (at least 9 hours of graduate courses per semester) and are permitted no more than one online or distance learning course as part of their full-time course load. Some graduate programs at the University may be completed fully online and must be completed in the student's home country. Programs which are primarily online but have an on-campus residency may have an option to allow for a short-term student visa for the duration of the residency requirement. International Graduate Students should speak to the coordinator of their graduate program at the University to discuss their options.

International Graduate Admissions Forms

We have one online form for all graduate programs.
International students must provide a statement of financial support with along with a bank letter showing the student, or student's sponsor, is capable of supporting the student.
Non-immigrant international students must have health insurance to be enrolled at MUW.

Transfer of Funds

Before students leave their native countries, it is very important to inquire about the regulations regarding the transfer of funds. In addition to the costs of travel, students should have at least $500 (USD) upon arrival in Mississippi to meet initial expenses. Foreign bank drafts for spending money made out to the university may take up to one month to process, so it is highly recommended that internationally accepted traveler's checks be used by the student in place of checks written on foreign banks.

Columbus: Our Home

The W has a beautiful 144 acre (0.58 km2) campus in historic downtown Columbus, Mississippi, a city of approximately 26,000. The city offers opportunities for affordable housing and cultural events.The university is about a 3-hour drive from the major cities of Birmingham, Alabama and Memphis, Tennessee, providing students with even more opportunities to shop, visit museums, see the sights, or catch an international flight.

Columbus Visitor Center