Campus communities nation-wide are concerned over issues involving personal safety in the university environment. The purpose of the program will be to provide a measure of safety for those that are uncomfortable or apprehensive about walking alone between points on campus.
The Night Owls – campus transport program provides prompt, courteous, safety escorts to the students, faculty and staff of Mississippi University for Women seven nights a week during the academic year between the hours of 7:00PM to 2:00AM. To contact a Night Owl, contact (662) 241-7777.
Night Owls will:
- Provide escorts within the campus boundaries.
- Be staffed by trained and supervised student workers.
- Be identified by brightly colored vest.
- Continuously inspect campus when not transporting individuals.
- Report all safety concerns on campus such as campus lighting, exterior doors propped, broken windows, suspicious activity, etc.
- Not operate during holidays and campus closings.
Night Owls Regulations:
- Passengers must present a valid MUW Identification Card when entering the vehicle.
- Persons who are not affiliated with The W are not permitted in the vehicle.
- Night Owls cannot stop for pedestrian "flag downs."
- Ride requests are limited to 3 or fewer passengers at a time.
- Night Owls will not wait more than 5 minutes at a location on campus. Passengers need to be outside and waiting on the Night Owls.
- Nights Owls reserve the right to refuse service in situations that put the driver or other passengers at risk.
To contact the Night Owls, contact (662) 241-7777.