The W recognizes that you are a very important partner in your student’s success in college. Our mission is to connect parents and families of W students to the University so that they can support their student in many ways. We will help you stay connected to campus life and serve as your ongoing resource throughout your student’s college career. We believe that through strong partnerships with families, The W can serve as a conduit for a student’s future success. We welcome you and your student to our Owl family!
For the purposes of this site, the term “parent” includes, but is not limited to, biological parents, stepparents, extended family members, foster parents, and legal guardians.
Goals for Parents
- Parents understand their important role as coaches and role models. They empower their students to take personal responsibility for their academics, relationships, and all aspects of their lives. They provide support in the form of listening whenever possible.
- Parents maintain open communication with their students about difficult life decisions and promote positive choices regarding alcohol/drugs, healthy eating and sleeping habits, time management, coping with stress and conflict, and personal relationships.
- Parents understand that there are limitations regarding access to student information as outlined in the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) and the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA).
- Parents understand the variety of resources available to students at The W and empower their students to use these resources to solve problems and enhance the quality of their lives.
- Parents take opportunities to engage with The W, share their W experiences, and serve as natural ambassadors for the institution.