Learning another language is one of the a cornerstones of a liberal arts or professional education. Along with developing a better understanding of how language works and increasing vocabulary through learning new words, the study of a foreign language introduces students to a range of cultures and a global awareness of the world in which we live. The department offers classes in Spanish language and literature, along with study abroad opportunities to Mexico and Spain. Students may major in Spanish or in Spanish with Teacher Certification.
As a Spanish major, you will take classes such as:
- Conversation and Composition
- Women in Spanish Film
- Civilizations and Cultures
- Hispanic Cultural Productions
- Study Abroad in Spanish-speaking Country
Optional Teaching Certificate
Students who wish to teach Spanish in middle school or high school can choose the Teaching Certificate Track. You will take teacher training courses in addition to your subject classes. Upon graduation, you will have earned a secondary education license in the State of Mississippi.
- Small Classes - most are under 20 students
- Transfer-Friendly University - apply your community college courses toward a bachelor's degree
- Personalized Advising - Faculty work with you one-on-one to schedule classes that meet your career goals