Assistant Professor, Collections Development Librarian
PHONE: (662) 329-7340
About Prof. Larson
2018 Master of Library and Information Science San Jose State University
2013 Bachelor of Arts in History Mississippi University for Women Ina E. Gordy Honors College Minor in Women’s Studies
Mississippi University for Women
Collections Development Librarian (2019 – Current)
- Participates in an ongoing assessment of research and program needs through campus outreach.
- Conducts reviews of library electronic and print materials.
- Collaborates with stakeholders to make decisions concerning collection development.
- Manages the acquisition of the library’s print collections including monographs, serials, media, and government documents.
- Manages the library’s electronic journals, databases, discovery, trials, and streaming media collections.
- Updates and/or creates collection development policies and supervises the curation of the collections based on those policies
- Assesses and produces reports on library collections, their use, and procedures/policies associated with them.
- Coordinates audits of collections within the ASRS (automatic storage and retrieval system) with the Library System Administrator
- Heads library’s Inclusion, Diversity, Equity, and Accessibility Committee, and evaluates collections to meet these standards.
- Works with faculty and other campus stakeholders to promote equitable access to class materials through coordination of course reserve system and promotion of open educational resources.
- Manages the inclusion of campus journals in the university’s institutional repository and provides support to journal boards in their use of the peer review software.
- Creates and maintains LibGuides, instructional videos, and other information literacy tools provided to patrons.
- Works closely with technical services library staff to coordinate the intake and processing of newly purchased materials and donations.
- Manages donations of circulating materials, evaluates items for inclusion in the library’s collections, and assists donors through the donation process.
- Sits on campus committees, including Faculty Senate, to serve the campus community and build relationships with university faculty.
Library Associate (2018 – 2019)
- Instructed patrons in research practices, library technology, basic citation and writing support, and use of library resources, print and electronic.
- Assisted patrons with acquiring materials, general reference, research, and technical support both in person and online through library virtual reference service.
- Assisted with interlibrary loan and holds request processing.
- Assisted with the use of Automated Storage and Retrieval System (ASRS) to pull and store materials, and troubleshoot minor issues when needed.
- Maintained day to day library functions including collecting fines, checking materials in and out, reconciliation of monies, and supervision of student workers.
- Maintained organization and reservations of study rooms and equipment.
- Acted as building manager including reporting maintenance issues, opening and closing the library, and maintaining documentation.
- Collaborated with faculty and other staff to assist in the creation of virtual reference tools such as LibGuides.
- Assisted with collections management processes including material evaluation, selection, deselection, and purchasing.
- Coordinated student worker participation in major projects including shelf reading, large scale book shifts, journal binding processes, etc.
- Maintained library materials and resources, including troubleshooting computers and office equipment.
- Coordinated library Instagram account for outreach and information sharing and assists with other social media networking
- Assisted with library display design, construction, and set-up; including creating displays for LGBT history month and Banned Books Week.
- Worked with and provides support to technical services staff including adjusting catalog information as needed and coordinating shelving of newly cataloged items.
Presented at the Mississippi Historical Conference and Jackson State University’s Creative Arts Festival | 2012
- Title – “President Kennedy and Creating Public Support”
Established and presented an oral history collection as senior honors thesis | 2013
- Title – “The Experience of Lesbians at Mississippi University for Women”
Fant Library Internal Service
- IDEA Committee
- Co-Chair (October 10, 2019 – January 16, 2020)
- Chair (January 16, 2020 – Current)
- Messaging Committee
- Member (November 20, 2019 – Current)
- Search Committees
- Chair for search committee for Archivist and Special Collections Librarian (February 24, 2020 – May 15, 2020)
- Chair for search committee for Metadata Librarian (April 14, 2021 – Current)
- ALA Membership (2015 – Current)
- ACRL Membership (2018 – Current)
- GLBT Roundtable Membership (2018 – Current)
- Rainbow Roundtable News & Reviews Committee Member (July 2021 – CURRENT)
- SRRT Roundtable Membership (2018 – Current)
- ALCTS Membership (2019 – 2020)
- CORE Membership (2021 – Current)
- Progressive Librarians Guild Membership (2018 – Current)
- ACRL Scholarly Communication Workshop (University of Northern Alabama) May 16, 2019
- Charleston Library Conference (Charleston, NC) November 3-5, 2019
- NASIG (Virtual) June 9-11, 2020
- Charleston Library Conference (Virtual) November 2-4, 2020
- Served in volunteer role as a facilitator
- ALA (Virtual) June 23-26, 2021
- ACRL ULSPDC: I Didn’t Mean Anything by It: How Racial Microaggressions are Perceived April 23, 2019
- Library Juice Academy Course in Excel for Libraries (Web Course) May 6th-June 14th, 2019
- ACRL Project Outcome and Canadian Association of Research Libraries presentation, Visualizing Library Assessment Data (Webinar) January 22, 2020
- EBSCO: The Modern Library UI – What Do Today’s Users Expect? March 12, 2020
- ACRL Advocacy: How to Win Colleagues & Influence Vendors (Webinar) March 18th, 2020
- EducatorAdminWebAdvisor: Anti-Racism In and Out of The Classroom: How to Be an Ally for College Students (Webinar) January 28, 2021
- Equitable collections practices
- Community outreach and relationship development
- Digital resource management
- LGBTQIA+ experience and history
- Women’s experience in librarianship