How to Apply
Applications are now closed
Step 1: Determine if you are eligible
- Applicants must reside in Mississippi.
- Applicants must be currently enrolled in either the 10th or 11th grade of an accredited Mississippi secondary school.
- Applicants must have achieved at least one of the performance qualifications.
- Applicants must not have attended a previous session of MGS.
- Applicant must have the ability, maturity, and willingness to handle advanced academic concepts, materials, and activities.
- Applicant must be able to adjust to being away from home for an extended period of time.
- Applicant must be able to commit to participating fully for the duration of the program (including weekend activities). Please note: MGS will not be able to accomodate special athletic training during the program. This includes, but is not limited to, running, weightlifting, etc. Recreation time is available to all scholars throughout the program, but individual training is not allowed.
Step 2: Complete the online application
All sections of the online application are required.
- Applicant information
- School Experience
- Community/Volunteer Experience
- Work Experience
- Response to Prompt (Upload)
- Information release form
Applicants will receive an email confirmation when their completed application has been received. Students will be notified of their admission status by mid-February.
The online application is required in order for a student to be considered for admission to Mississippi Governor's School. It must be completed in its entirety BY THE STUDENT who is applying, and must be digitally signed by the student AND by a parent/guardian.
Please have the following items and information available to you before you begin this form as you will NOT be able to save your work and return later:
- Student and parent/guardian email addresses
- School address, phone number, district, and accreditation status
- Principal/Headmaster email address
- School Counselor email address
- School website address
- The name and email address of two teachers/community members whom you would like to submit recommendations for admission on your behalf
- Documentation to support the qualification you select (ACT score, SAT score, proof of leadership ability, etc.)
- Your essay, video, presentation, etc. that answers the prompt: "Describe your ideal learning environment."
- Parent/guardian available to digitally sign your application
In order to attend Mississippi Governor's School, applicants are required to have achieved at least one of the minimum qualifications. You will NOT receive more points based on how many qualifications you meet, so you will select only ONE qualification.
After you have selected a qualification, you will be asked to verify that you meet the qualification. For instance, if you select "ACT score of 25 or higher," you will need to upload your ACT score sheet. The following list includes acceptable verification materials that can be uploaded:
Gifted eligibility ruling in Mississippi
1. Gifted eligibility statement. If you do not have a copy, your school counselor should be able to provide you with one.
Composite score of 25 or above on the ACT
1. ACT score sheet. This must include your name and composite score.
Selection index of 175 or above on the PSAT
1. PSAT score sheet. This must include your name and your selection index, not just your overall scores.
Score of 1250 or above on the SAT
1. SAT score sheet.
Documentation of academic aptitude at an advanced level
1. Proof of academic award(s) received; or
2. Proof of membership in an academics-related club or organization (Beta Club, National Honor Society, etc.); or
3. A statement from someone with extensive knowledge of your academic capabilities (teacher, club advisor, etc.); or
4. Documentation similar to those listed above
Documentation of creative thinking ability at an advanced level
1. Proof of membership in club or organization that promotes creative thinking (Debate Club, school newspaper, Model UN, etc.); or
2. A statement from someone with extensive knowledge of your creative thinking ability; or
3. Documentation similar to those listed above
Documentation of leadership ability at an advanced level
1. Proof of leadership award(s) received; or
2. Proof of involvement in leadership-based club, organization, etc. (can be school or community-based); or
3. Proof of volunteer work/community service; or
4. Statement from an individual within your school or community with extensive knowledge of your leadership ability; or
5. Documentation similar to those listed above
Documentation of fine and/or performing arts ability at an advanced level
1. Proof of art-related award(s) received; or
2. Proof of involvement in art-related club, organization, etc. (can be school or community-based); or
3. Statement from an individual within your school or community with extensive knowledge of your fine/performing arts ability; or
4. Documentation similar to those listed above
Instead of attaching a separate résumé, applicants will have the opportunity to list school, volunteer, and/or work experience within the online application. Each "Experience" section will ask you to list organizations/companies you have participated in or worked with throughout high school. For each section, you can list the organization name(s), dates of participation, responsibilities/involvement, and awards/honors.
This is a critical component of the application. You MUST provide TWO VALID email addresses for teachers and/or community members in order for your application to be considered. At least one of the email addresses must belong to a teacher who has taught you within the past year.
Once you have submitted your application, a recommendation form will be emailed to those listed on your application. It is your responsibility to ensure that the email addresses you provide are valid and functioning. It is advisable that you try emailing them on your own first. You should let your teachers know that you have selected them as references for your MGS application and ask them to check their email regularly, as the recommendation form will be sent to the email address you provide to us.
NOTE: The recommendation forms do NOT have to be returned by the student application deadline. Recommendation forms must be submitted by January 31, 2021.
Response to Prompt (Upload)
The overarching theme of MGS 2021 is "The Evolution of Learning."
Due to recent events, we have witnessed a significant shift within the American education system. Educators, administrators, and parents have been assessing and debating different ways to handle the changes and address student needs.
For this year's prompt, we would like to challenge applicants to think critically and creatively. You will need to submit an essay, video, or presentation for the following prompt: Design your ideal learning environment.
Your submission can include location, classroom setup, student-to-teacher ratio, learning activities, how technology can be incorporated, etc. This is your time to shine and to show us your creativity and critical thinking skills!