MAT Program Admission Process
Begin MAT Program as an Undergraduate
With the support of their current academic advisor and a minimum GPA of 2.75, undergraduates at The W who are majoring in an MAT certification subject may take the first two courses of the MAT program in the last year of their undergraduate program.
- ED 549: Instructional Assessment Practices and Procedures
- ED 551: Managing the Instructional Environments
Students completing these courses at the undergraduate level, earning a BS degree, and meeting current Mississippi Educator License requirements, are eligible for a 3-year, Alternate Route Mississippi Educator License. These courses will count towards an MAT degree.
MAT with a Bachelor's Degree
• Online application
• Bachelor's Degree from a regionally accredited college or university
• Satisfactory grade point average (3.0 GPA on a 4.0 scale) *
• Professional recommendations from individuals who have knowledge of the student's academic/work performance
• $25.00 application fee
• Official transcripts from all colleges attended
• ACT score of 21 or passing scores on Praxis Core
• Passing scores on the Praxis II Subject Area Assessment
Meeting the above requirements, provides candidates with admission to complete the initial 12-hours of the MAT program required for educator licensure. To continue to the Master of Arts in Teaching degree program, candidates must complete the following:
- Statement of purpose essay
- 3.0 GPA on initial MAT coursework
*NOTE: An overall GPA of 3.0 or greater for coursework earned prior to admission to the MAT program at The W is required of all new students. This requirement is not negotiable. Applicants with an overall GPA lower than 3.0 will not be considered for admission to the MAT program at The W.
Applying to the Program
You will complete the Graduate Admissions application online and will have an option to submit your letters of recommendation and supporting documentation through the online application.