Frequently Asked Questions


| General | Teacher Internship | Taskstream |

General FAQs

1. Who is the administrative assistant for the department?

Brook Louviere is the administrative assistant for the Education Department and Office of Field Experiences. Her office is located in Room 316 of the Education & Human Sciences Building. She can be reached at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. or 329-7191.

2. Who is charge of Field Experiences?

Dr. Shelley Bock is the field experience director. Her office is located in EDHS 307. She can be reached at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

3. Who is the college dean and where is he located?

Dr. Marty Hatton is the interim dean for the College of Education & Human Sciences. His office is located in EDHS 112. You may reach them by calling 329-7175.

4. Where are the offices for professors/advisors?

Professors and Administrative Assistants offices are located on the first three floors of the EDHS building. Visit the faculty page for contact information.

5. I need to make an appointment with a professor. How do I do that?

You may make an appointment with your professor by contacting them via email or phone or you may visit during the offices hours posted on their office door.

6. I'm ready to be a teacher! What's the first step?

The first step is to be accepted to The W and declare education as your major. Then follow the Progression through the program.

7. Do I have to be admitted to Teacher Education before I can declare education as a major?

No, you can declare education as your major before being formally admitted into the Teacher Education program. Information about being formally admitted to the program will be reviewed in ED 300, Education as a Profession.

8. What GPA do I need to be formally admitted into Teacher Education?

You must have a GPA of least 2.75 to be formally admitted.

9. What grade must I make in ED 300 to be formally admitted into Teacher Education?

You must make a "C" or better in ED 300.

10. How many semester hours must I earn before I can be formally admitted into Teacher Education?

You must have taken at least 44 semester hours.

11. Do I have to pass the Praxis CORE before formal admission?

Yes, you must pass all three sections (reading, writing, and math) of the Praxis CORE prior to admission, or have the qualifying ACT/SAT scores. See for information about Praxis CORE testing codes and passing scores for the state of Mississippi.

12. Is there a way a teacher education candidate can bypass the Praxis CORE?

Yes! If you made a 21 or better on your high school ACT with no subtest scores lower than 18, you may submit those scores in lieu of the Praxis CORE. Likewise, if you made an 990 or better on the SAT, you may submit that score to bypass the Praxis CORE.

13. I heard something about a criminal background check. What is that?

All education majors are required to complete a criminal background check through the chosen company, Certified Background. This is required prior to completion of a field experience assignments in our cooperating K-12 schools.

14. What is field experience?

There are certain classes that require teacher candidates to go to a cooperating K-12 school to work with certified teachers in various classrooms. These experiences help you with learning how to teach and manage classroom behavior as you progress through the program.

15. Do I get to choose my cooperating school for field experience?

Most field experience classes have pre-determined school assignments. This means that you will get your placement earlier and will have your fellow teacher candidates close by for support. These assignments are within easy driving distance. For classes with a choice, you will be allowed to request a placement, but the final decision is made through the university in cooperation with the local school districts.

16. I've taken and passed ED 300! How soon before I'm formally admitted into teacher education?

The Education Department has three 'windows' when we review admission applications: just before the start of a new semester, a week prior to the pre-registration period, and just after the end of a given semester. If you have just completed ED 300, your application will automatically be reviewed as soon as your grades for that semester are posted on Banner Web.

The Education department will communicate with you when you meet all requirements; you will be formally admitted and will receive an e-mail to let you know of your admission. If you have any missing information or if the department needs additional information, the Education department will contact you.

If you feel that you should be in the program but have not received confirmation, please visit EDHS Room 316 and we will work with you to see what needs to be done.

17. What is a RAP number?

Your RAP number is the six-digit code you use to register for your classes every semester. The code changes every semester, with summer to fall being the exception.

18. Where do I get my RAP number?

Your advisor will have your RAP number. Please set up an appointment with your advisor during the pre-registration window every semester to make your schedule and receive your RAP number.

19. I don't know my advisor's name. How do I find this information?

Go into your Banner Web account and follow these steps: Student Services > Student Information> General Student Record. Your advisor's name will be located on your General Student Record page. If there is no advisor's name there, please check with the department administrative office for assistance.

20. I need to make a bulletin board for one of my classes. Are there any materials on hand that I can use?

There is an Ellison cut-out machine with shape blocks located in EDHS Room 316. You will need to supply your own paper for the Ellison. There are paper rolls of bulletin board paper designated for specific classroom projects and a laminating machine located on the first floor. Please check with the dean's office to get paper or request lamination. A fee is involved with lamination.

21. Is there a place in the building where I can use a computer if needed?

There is a computer lab on the second floor of the EDHS building. If it is not being used by a class, you are free to use a computer. Please note that there is no public printer in the lab, so you will need to save your work to a flash drive and print elsewhere. Lab hours are 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM Monday – Friday, unless there is a class scheduled to meet in the lab.

22. Is there Wi-Fi available in the building?

Yes, The W is a Wi-Fi capable university. Please check with the ITS department for the wireless password.

23. Where can I find information on all the policies related to requirements for teacher education? Where can I find more information about the teacher education program?

We have a Teacher Education Handbook that outlines our program. The handbook can be found at this link:



Teacher Internship FAQs

1. I'm ready to do my professional internship semester! Where do I begin?

An internship orientation is held every fall and spring for qualifying internship candidates. Be sure to check with the professor who teaches your major's methods/materials course for the date and time. We send e-mails to those professors. We also post signs across campus. Attendance is REQUIRED for prospective interns.

Please note that a full semester should come between your Teacher Education admission and your Internship semester.

2. How do I apply for internship?

The field experience director will have you go into your Taskstream account to begin the process. If your Taskstream account is inactive, you will need to reactivate it in order to apply for internsip.

3. How long does Internship last?

Internship is a semester-long endeavor, with the first two weeks of the semester spent on The W campus taking part in Classroom Management, and 14 weeks split between two placements in cooperating K-12 schools.

4. Will I be able to choose where I wish to intern?

You are allowed three choices of districts where you would like to intern. While we cannot guarantee that you will receive your choice, we will accommodate your request, if possible. Ultimately, the decision comes down to where you will receive the best possible experience during internship and the decision is made in cooperation with partnership schools.

5. Why are there two phases in Internship?

This is done so you can receive varied experiences in two grades/classrooms. This has been encouraged by our accreditation agencies, and can help you when you apply for positions.

6. How are the phases determined?

It depends on your major. IF you are an elementary education major, you will receive one lower (K-3) placement and one upper (4-8) placement. 7-12 majors will have phases in junior high/middle school (7-8) and senior high school (9-12). Special subject majors (Art, Music, Physical Education, Spanish) will do one phase in an elementary class (K-6) and one phase in a junior high/senior high school class (7-12).

7. Will someone come visit me during my internship?

Yes, all interns are assigned a university supervisor who will visit them several times during the semester. Those assignments are made early during the Internship semester for elementary majors. 7-12 and Special Subject majors have pre-determined university supervisors based on who teaches their methods/materials course. That instructor is usually that specific major's supervisor.

8. I had to pass the Praxis CORE to be admitted into Teacher Education. Do I have to pass other tests for Internship?

Yes. All majors take two separate tests. Everyone will take a version of the Principles of Learning and Teaching (PLT) and each major has a specialized test in its own licensure area that is required. You must pass both tests prior to Internship. There are no exceptions to this requirement. Visit for the exams required by the State of Mississippi.

9. What are the codes for these Praxis tests?

The Office of Field Experiences have those codes available. Also, they are on the official ETS/Praxis website at

10. Are there computer versions of the Praxis II tests?

Yes, ETS is moving toward making all Praxis tests available via computer. You will know when you see a computer-based version of a test if the code begins with a "5." Paper versions are still available at this time.

11. When are the Praxis II tests offered?

ETS determines the test dates. They can be found on the ETS/Praxis website at The Office of Field Experiences will also post these dates.

12. How do I make sure that The W receives my Praxis scores?

This is very important. Please be sure to have all Praxis scores sent to the right MUW office. The recipient code for MUW Education is 1481. A mistake on this can result in delayed scores and being removed from Classroom Management. You must have scores sent to us from ETS in order to intern—NO EXCEPTIONS. Your computerized print off is not acceptable.

Please be sure to put the code for MUW on your registration application the first time around. If you don't, ETS will charge you extra (around $40) to have a copy of your scores sent later. And again, the Office of Field Experiences must see an official copy of your scores prior to sending you into your cooperating schools.

13. Is there a place on The W campus to take the computer versions of Praxis II?

Currently, our university does not offer this service. The closest Praxis computer center is on the campus of Mississippi State University in Starkville, but there are several centers in the region that administer the tests, such as Tupelo and Tuscaloosa.

14. Are there are any other requirements for Internship?

There are several requirements that must be met prior to Internship. Those requirements can be found in the Teacher Education Handbook at this link:

15. I need to work while interning. Is that allowed?

While not recommended, interns have the right to work during internship as long as the job does not interfere with the internship. No exceptions will be made in regards to working during the formal school day. Candidates must understand that standards and expectations will not be compromised to accommodate the extra responsibilities of a job. There is a form that you must complete that gives notice to your intent to work, and can be completed the semester prior to internship.

16. May I take extra course work while interning?

When unforeseen circumstances create a need for additional credit beyond the 12 semester hours, the student must file a formal request and provide a rational. Request must include the signature of the student's advisor. In cases where overall permission is granted, students are reminded of the demands and consequences to health and classroom performance. Furthermore, students understand that standards and exceptions will not be compromised to accommodate the extra responsibilities of additional coursework.

17. How do I apply for my license after internship?

Visit the Institutional Verification Information on the Office of Field Experiences page.

The Director of Field Experiences can assist you in that process. Most of the process happens online now and goes directly to the Mississippi Department of Education, who issues teacher licenses.

18. Who is the contact person if I have any Internship questions?

Dr. Shelley Bock is the Field Experiences Director. Her office is located in Room 307 of the EDHS Building. Brook Louviere is the administrative assistant for Field Experiences and can be found in EDHS Room 316. Phone contact is 329-7191.



Taskstream FAQs

1. What is Taskstream?

Taskstream is a web-based assessment management system. It provides a central location to input information and communication for assessment, accreditation, and planning activities. You will begin using Taskstream during ED 300, Education as a Profession, and will continue using it throughout your professional education program.

2. Is there a fee associated with Taskstream?

Yes, the fee will be assessed when you pay for tuition fees incurred the semester that you take ED 300. It is similar to a lab fee. Your ED 300 instructor will provide a code to use to enroll in Taskstream.

3. How do I open my account in Taskstream?

Once you have been enrolled in Taskstream during ED 300, you will be requested to create a password for your account.

4. Once I create a password in Taskstream, what happens next?

You will be able to open to your Taskstream information page and prompted to complete information requested.

5. Will I be requested to submit work in Taskstream?

Yes, at different times throughout your education program, you will be requested to submit work in Taskstream.

6. How do I submit work in Taskstream?

You will go into Taskstream to your Taskstream account, open and click on the appropriate folio and submit work.

7. If I have uploaded work, but it cannot be opened by the evaluator, what do I do?

You must have first written a statement in the text-image box that you are ready to be evaluated then click "submit work". The statement activates the submission for the evaluations and allows your evaluations to be completed.

You will also need to check to be sure that you not only saved the work but you also clicked on "submit work" in order for the evaluator to be able to view the work.

8. How often should I check my Taskstream account?

You should check your account regularly throughout your education program of study in order to be sure that all work has been submitted and evaluated.

9. How do I check to see if my Taskstream account for date of reactivation if I have been out of the program for some semesters?

You may contact Taskstream Mentoring Services at 1-800-311-5656 to pay the fee required to reactivate your account.