Spanish with Secondary Education Certification
Teacher Education Majors are required to pass the following courses with a C or higher as part of their major and their General Education Curriculum.
MA 113 - College Algebra or higher Math including MA 123 (3 semester hours)
COM 101 - Oral Communication
PSY 206 - Human Growth and Development
Major Requirements: (grade of C or better required)
The following are required courses and should be taken upon completion of FLS 202 or with instructor’s permission (12 semester hours):
- FLS 251 - Conversation and Composition I
- FLS 252 - Conversation and Composition II
- FLS 301 - Advanced Grammar
- FL 410 - Methods and Materials in Secondary Language
Cultures and Civilizations — Select one from the following courses (3 semester hours)
- FLS 305 - Civilizations and Cultures of Spain
- FLS 306 - Civilizations and Cultures of Latin America
Required Survey sequence (6 semester hours)
- FLS 311 - Survey of Spanish Literature I
- FLS 312 - Survey of Spanish Literature II
Required Study Abroad
Required Study abroad in Spanish-speaking country (minimum of 6 semester hours with prior approval from and in consultation with MUW Spanish Faculty). Prior to enrolling in a program, students and faculty will discuss coursework, program costs, travel expenses, room and board and other related expenses.
Students who are unable to travel abroad may complete the requirement locally. A student who chooses this option must provide an explanation to the Spanish faculty as to the reason they cannot travel abroad. Approval will only be given to students experiencing a valid hardship that would prevent them from studying abroad. Once approved, the student can fulfill their required 6 study abroad credits with FLS 390 Spanish Service-Learning Internship and one additional advanced Spanish course, FLS 305 or higher.
- Select 2 elective courses (6 credit hours) at or above FLS 201.
Professional Education Requirements, K-12: (Minimum grade of C required)
- ED 300 - Education as a Profession
- ED 302 - Art and Science of Teaching
- ED 306 - Introduction to Exceptional Learners
- ED 351 - Educational Measurement
- ED 360 - Educational Psychology
- ED 401 - Classroom Management
- ED 407 - Observation and Directed Teaching Grades K-12