Teacher Certification - History & Social Studies
In Mississippi, those who want to teach history must gain a teaching license in social studies, grades 7-12.
Our department offers excellent options for the preparation of social studies educators. We have a traditional "track" to teaching certification, but also work with students on an "alternative track" to licensure. All history majors are eligible to join the alternative track to teacher certification in their senior year. If you are considering the alternative track to teaching certification, we recommend you consider adding the Social Studies minor to your history major or joining the Political Science with Social Studies concentration degree program.
- History with Teacher Certification Degree Audit
- MUW MAT program (for alternative track certification)
- Mississippi Department of Education, Educator Licensure Information
- Mississippi Department of Education, Supplemental Endorsements Information
Regardless of the "path" or "track" to teaching licensure, all social studies teachers must pass the following exams.
- Passing scores on the Praxis Core OR composite score of 21 on ACT
- Praxis II Exams (Content Area): Social Studies – test code 5081
You can add endorsements to your teaching area by examination or additional coursework. Details for how to add supplemental endorsements can be found at the MS Department of Education website.
If you are interested in learning more about teaching certification in history/social studies, please contact:
Dr. Jon Hooks
211-F Painter Hall