At The W, you will learn and practice the skills of video and audio production, media writing, layout and design for print and digital to become a communications professional.
Students in the B.A. degree program will complete the University "core curriculum," the communication curriculum, and a required academic minor. The total program requires 124 semester hours. You can review the general requirements for the University Core.
Bachelor of Arts Degree Requirements
Students pursuing a Bachelor of Arts degree must complete the following courses in their academic program:
- Foreign Language (one area - minimum of 6 hours at the 200-level or above)
Communication Major Courses
(grade of C or better required)
- COM 100 - Student Media Seminar (2 semesters)
- COM 101 - Oral Communication
- COM 102 - Introduction to Mass Communication
- COM 103 - Introduction To Media Technology
- COM 200 - Writing for the Media
- COM 250 - Newsgathering
- COM 307 - Advanced Writing for the Media
- COM 310 - Digital Culture
- COM 320 - Mass Communication and Society
- COM 325 - Visual Design
- COM 400 - Practicum (2 semesters)
- COM 460 - Internship *
- COM 465 - Communication Senior Seminar
*Field Experience: Student field experiences can be realized through the internship program. To be eligible, students must be classified as juniors or seniors and must possess a 2.5 or higher overall grade point average. Communication majors are required to complete a field experience as part of the degree requirements. This is accomplished through formal internship placement (COM 460) with an appropriate professional agency. Students may or may not be compensated for their internship experience. The scope of such experiences must exceed that of required communication practicum courses and should acquaint students with actual professional practices in their disciplines. A minimum of 120 hours of on-site experience is required for 3 hours of credit per semester.
(Choose 9 Semester Hours)
- COM 201 - Relational Communication
- COM 204 - Announcing for the Media
- COM 210 - Advertising
- COM 299 - Special Topics in Communication
- COM 303 - Images of Women in Film
- COM 331 - Audio Production
- COM 410 - Media Law & Ethics
- COM 413 - Public Relations
- COM 425 - Advanced Visual Design
- COM 431 - Video Production
- COM 454 - Problems in Mass Communication
- COM 499 - Special Topics in Communication
- FLM 101 - Introduction to Film
*Other coursework may be accepted as hours toward Communication Electives with approval of the Department Chair.
Communication majors are required to take a minor to focus some of their electives and to help maximize their career goals and interests. Minors range from 18-24 semester hours. Students are to make appropriate adjustments in free elective hours to ensure the minimum of 124 required semester hours required in the chosen curriculum. Communication majors may not minor in Communication.