Creating High Achievement in Mathematics and Problem Solving (CHAMPS) is a Mathematics and Science Partnership (MSP) project funded by the Mississippi Department of Education. Mississippi University for Women and the Mississippi School for Mathematics and Science are committed to providing high quality professional development to improve student achievement and teacher quality in mathematics. The goal of the CHAMPS Project is to improve student achievement and teacher quality in mathematics through a sustained program of professional development for K-8th grade teachers based on College and Career Readiness mathematics content, teaching strategies, and utilizing formative assessment to inform and guide instruction.
We are now reviewing applications. However, applications will continue to be accepted until all slots are filled.
Specific objectives include:
- increase mathematics content knowledge
- increase knowledge and appropriate alignment of teaching activities of the College and Career Readiness Standards
- increase use of manipulatives and inquiry-based instructional strategies
- increase meaningful use of data-driven instructional decisions.
- increase participants’ involvement in high-quality professional development activities