Department of Graduate Nursing
Dr. Teresa Hamill, Chair
Welcome to the Mississippi University for Women Department of Graduate Nursing!
We are glad you have chosen to explore your options and consider Mississippi’s first nurse practitioner program for your advanced practice nursing degree! As a potential student, you have many questions concerning pursuing a Master’s Degree in Nursing. I hope the information provided here will be helpful as you decide about attending The W.
If you want to become a Family Nurse Practitioner, you would be joining a cadre of nurse practitioners who have established MUW’s reputation of producing intelligent and professional nurse practitioners! Many of the nurse practitioners in Mississippi, Alabama, Arkansas, Tennessee and Louisiana, graduated from The W.
The W has had a nurse practitioner program since 1974 with nearly 1,000 advanced practice nurses who have graduated to our credit. Our pass rate on national certifications (ANCC and AANP) has been near 98% for the past two years, and is often a notable 100%.
The Graduate Nursing Program takes one calendar year to complete. The MSN program is an intensive, full-time. The faculty members are all nurse practitioners who remain current by practicing one day a week. Faculty members’ backgrounds and certifications range from neonatal (NNP), pediatrics (PNP), family (FNP), geriatrics (GNP), and psych-mental health (PMHP). Faculty members are practice experts in their own rights, and work diligently to be accommodating and collegial toward students.
Basic information you need to make your decision:
- August to August – one year to complete your degree
- Clinical placement near or in your home town
- Excellent national board certification rate
- Accredited by Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE) (consistently nationally and state accredited for entire history)
- Usually one day of classes on Mondays (there are a few exceptions)
- Internet access to faculty and wireless access in classrooms
- Comfortable surroundings in state of the art facility
- Student break room, lounge facilities
If the information provided here has created interest in attending MUW, please request additional information by calling (662) 329-7323, toll free (877) 462-8439 X 7323.
Hope to hear from you soon,
Dr. Teresa Hamill