The central purpose of the human sciences program at Mississippi University for Women is to prepare students to serve with professional competence in human sciences careers and thus make a contribution to the attainment of the following objectives:
1. To provide curricula which contribute to the liberal education of students.
2. To provide curricula which will allow students to acquire knowledge and skills to serve with professional competence in human services or human sciences careers or to pursue further study at the graduate level.
3. To provide opportunities for continued lifelong learning in human sciences-related areas of study.
4. To prepare students to assume leadership roles in professional organizations.
5. To provide support courses for other divisions within the university.
6. To provide leadership and direction within the area of human sciences within Mississippi through offices held, presentations made, sharing of information, services rendered, and consultations.